Community Services (CS) is a completely voluntary subcommittee made up of ILCM members and is coordinated by an Executive Committee member. CS meets monthly to discuss issues that affect the charities, ILCM support and the vulnerable groups within Macau.
The main purpose is to support the charities in a number of ways, raise awareness, distribute donations, sponsorship and funds raised by the essential fundraisers of the ILCM with in the parameters set out by our constitution.
Although the charities often receive a large amount of funding they often require more to operate in their ideal way and keep improving. Where once ILCM were covering basics such as milk and nappies, now the contribution towards such essentials is very much diminished and we are moving towards helping fund things such as education programmes and Psychologists.
CS subcommittee members also act as points of contact to the charities and often offer emotional and practical support to the people running the charities and give advice where it is asked for.
Often CS will act as a liaison between the charity and business community to help them access funds that are available from this source and too big for the ILCM budget.
What are the statistics for the past financial year?
- The 9 CS volunteers did approximately 126 charity visits.
- CS Team put in over 1,100 volunteer man-hours over the past committee year actively involved with charities. Plus 200 man-hours in committee meetings
- We directly support & help 22 charities, 2 scholarships, 1,400 people
- We distributed MOP 1,374,284 of donations and sponsorship to charity on behalf of ILCM members.
In 2013 we distributed MOP 1,374,284 of donations and sponsorship to charity on behalf of ILCM members.
CS has evolved to match the needs of Macau Charities continue to support and encourage good practice and try to ensure we do not support unethical or inappropriate practices.
Would you like to be involved?
Community Services rely heavily on unsung heroes to put the time and effort in with little or no thanks, if you think you would like to contribute to our community there are a number of ways to be involved:
- Take up a role on the Community Services Committee
- ILCM Point of Contact for a specific charity
- Specialist Volunteer – using specialist knowledge to help a charity or advise the CS committee, e.g. Nurse, Physio, Social Worker etc
- Volunteer – Spend time at a charity helping the disabled, elderly or those in recovery
If there is something you would like to be involved with please email firstname.lastname@example.org we would love to hear from you.
Thank you for your support.